Cambodia to get first modern slaughterhouse

Construction on Cambodia’s first modern slaughterhouse located in Preah Sihanouk province is nearing completion and set to be the largest in Asia.

The news comes after the Australian government approved export of 10,000 live cows to the Kingdom.

Hor Sim Leang, managing director of SLN Meat Supply, said its $15 million slaughterhouse in Prek Toal village is almost 60 percent complete.

The new slaughterhouse will be able to process 3,000 live cattle per day.

To be developed in accordance with the Exporter Supply Chain Assurance System (ESCAS) of Australia, the facility will be able to receive 10,000 Australian cattle as soon as December this year.

Costing $1,300 to $1,500 per head, the cattle will spend two weeks on the average at sea before Cambodia, Leang said.

Up to 30 percent of the beef processed at the slaughterhouse will be sold locally at $12/kg, with the remaining 70 percent to be exported to nearby countries.

No reviews yet.

Leave a Reply